Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data center general discussion and solution

Old 02-18-2010, 07:21 AM

Default DC without fire suppression system

Hi All,

Is there a way to Control oxygen level of 13% in Data centre. Fire can't start below 15% oxygen and human health is not affected unless oxygen level is below 10%

Hence, if there is a way to control oxygen level, there wouldn't be a need for fire suppression systems in DC = $ saved.

Air is made up of 21% oxygen
78% Nitrogen
1% other gas

Is this feasible? Any thoughts welcomed.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:02 AM

Hi

Yes this is not only possible but there are areas that already do this. These areas do not have people working in the room, so if staff need to enter the room the purge the air in the room. As you can imagine purging the room can be very expensive so it doesn't happen often.

Your problem will be with the safety of personnel who need to access the room. By reducing the oxygen level in a room where staff are expected to work you are placing them at risk. Reducing the oxygen level is like being at high altitude, which can cause altitude sickness or even death.

I don’t know if this is a fact or just a myth, so please don’t quote me, but I understand that a Japanese company built a hotel in the Himalayan (13,000ft) so they could get the tourists in to see the spectacular views. It’s been reported that so many visitors reported being sick and some even died that it was closed.