Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > Telecom Discussion Forum > Routing Algorithms

Old 10-02-2004, 05:24 AM
miketike

Default OSPF Networking Issue

Hi all,

Can someone tell me the best way to get information to go down 2 seperate routes to the same network given that OSPF only chooses one route to that network. In other words I have 2 routes to the same network, I need certain information to go one way and other information to go the other way, but the routing table only shows the one route. If you guys have any solution feel free to contact me or post here.
Old 10-04-2004, 12:22 AM
jsw6

I'm not sure if you're asking about policy routing or VRF, or equal cost multipath. Can you be more specific about what paramater determines which "information" traverses each path? For example, the layer 3 source address; layer 4 destination port; etc?

It sounds like you may need VRF and seperate instances of OSPF, along with a dedicated FIB for some of the traffic, to get the result you are looking for. This is somewhat complex from a topology and implementation perspective, and is not something you will want to get into unless you really need the traffic paths you are looking for.

If you just want equal cost multipath / load balancing, that's relatively easy. You just have to specify a maximum-paths paramater when exporting routes from your OSPF instance to your main RIB. On IOS and IOS-like platforms, the command is issued under &quot;router ospf <instance number>&quot; while on JunOS you need to use a policy-statement that exports routes from your RIB to the FIB with load-balance per-packet; and then reference that policy-statement in routing-options { forwarding-table { export } }.

I can follow-up to the thread again once you've posted additional detail.