View Single Post

Old 01-17-2012, 01:20 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to vincent_byrne

gabak

Firstly I recommend that you do as suggested by KenB and get a site measurement for the power requirement.
This can be achieved using one of the following methods.
1. Read the power at the UPS
2. Measure the power at the PDU's (If PDU's have amperage displayed)
3. Measure the power on each circuit using a clamp meter on each circuit cable within the distribution board.
4. Use a meter to clamp the single phase flex cable feeding the PDU's as it enters the rack. (Note these can inaccurate)

I have looked at the schedule of Servers an compared to our specification sheets and calculated the load at 39kW (nameplate)
You must now do some work with this figure.
Step 1 Diversify for 80%CPU usage.
Step 2 Add for any additional power load in room, such as connectivity equipment, Cisco, Juniper, etc
Step 3 Add for additional heat loss in room. (People, lighting, UPS heat losses, etc, solar heat gain due to windows if there are any)
Step 4 Add for future expansion if necessary.
Step 5 Depending on airflow method (underfloor, overhead, with or without containment) you will need to add for inefficiency
Step 6 Add for redundancy to achieve N+1

Precautions.
In a room of this size you will only be able to fit a small number of racks therefore the layout and the position of the CRAC units will be important. Possibly keep the CRACs at one end.

I have an eBook of data centre templates complete with CFD modelling.
The eBook is called "30 data centre cooling templates".
Go to www.vincent-byrne.com
and fill in the details in the right hand side and yu will receive a download link in your email.

I have also got a Visio version of these templates, you can use them to play around with the layouts.
http://www.vincent-byrne.com/workshops/design_workshop/

If you need any more assistance just email me at
vincent@byrnedixon.com

Vincent