View Single Post

Old 01-16-2012, 11:32 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to vincent_byrne

Gabak

The best way to get total accuracy reading of the load is to do as KenB has recommended.
Here are some options for getting accurate readings of existing equipment in a live data centre.
Option : Take a power reading at the existing UPS
Option 2:Take a power reading at each PDU in the each rack if you have Amp readings on your PDU's.
Option 3 : Get a electrician to measure the loads on the circuits at the distribution board and be sure to include the A and B loads.
Option 4 :Use a meter that can measure the load by clamping the the flex cable into the PDU. (Note these can be inaccurate.)

We have spreadsheets which you can use to pump in the basic IT loads, floor areas etc and you get a minimum cooling capacity requirment in BTU's or kw.
I have had a look at your schedule of equipment and from our data sheets for this equipment we have come up with a server power load requirement of 39kw (nameplate).
This does not include for the reduction associated with lower utilisation and with the other elements of equipment in the room whioch will also give off a heat load like the lighting, UPS, Distribution boards, people, and potential loads due to windows etc.

Dependent on the airflow arrangement you choose ie, under floor, overhead, with cold or hot aisle containment the cooling solution you choose will have to derated to allow for inefficiency. After this is allowed for you then need to consider if future expansion is required in the design. This maybe installed at a later date but must be considered in the layout. Then you add on your redandant unit to achieve N+1(this must be installed now)

It would also be interesting to see how many racks you intend putting this amount of equipment into. If the load in any one rack is too high you will have problems cooling it adequately in a small room with a limited head height. At 35sqm the room is very small and it will be difficult to install cooling units in this small footprint and achieve redundancy.
In this type of room anything above about 4/5kw and you will need to look at the posability of a closed couples solution such as inrow.

Is the 2.5 meters from slab to slab or from raised floor to dropped ceiling. Note you will need to decide if you can deliver the air from above or below. It probably makes sense to use some king of aisle containment method as you have a rather dense load in a small area.
I do not see any connectivity equipment, Cisco, Juniper etc. Will this be accomodated in a differnet room or must it also be added to these totals.

I am going to attach some links for you to download some usefull tools form my website.

1 A cooling layout design guide. "30 Data centrte cooling templates"
To download go to
www.vincent-byrne.com
and put your details into the form on the right hand column. You will reveive a download link in your email.

2 Here is a direct link to visio document with all of the templates from the design guide.
You can use one of these tmplates to decide on a suitable layout.
http://www.vincent-byrne.com/workshops/design_workshop/

For any more help feel free to contact me at
vincent@byrnedixon.com

Vincent